By 70 percent to 10 percent, whites said they believe the charges against Simpson are true, according to the Associated Press-Ipsos poll. Blacks were far more divided, though still tilting slightly toward believing he is guilty, 41 percent to 37 percent.
About three-quarters of whites said they believe Simpson has been treated fairly by the Las Vegas authorities who arrested him earlier this month on charges of seizing sports memorabilia items at gunpoint from two men in a hotel room. By about the same number, whites also said they think Simpson will receive a fair trial.
But blacks were divided about evenly over whether the one-time Heisman Trophy winner was treated fairly, and by 55 percent to 36 percent said they believe Simpson's trial will not be fair.
While 74 percent of whites said they think Simpson was guilty of the 1994 killings of his former wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, and her friend Ronald Goldman, only 31 percent of blacks agreed. Simpson was found not guilty of the slayings, but was later found liable for their deaths in a civil suit.
I think all of us could have saved AP and Ipsos the money they spent on the poll and just had one big party. I think the only thing that even made it close was the audio tape.
One thing that does bring everyone together is the fact that no matter your race or where you live, 90% of people are tired of hearing about OJ. The other 10% are probably Florida orange growers.