Wednesday, August 20, 2008
I can't stand it anymore. I know why the world has turned to blogs and websites rather than magazines for their gossip. Sure advertisers will still head for the magazines and pay the ridiculous rates even though they are pretty much worthless for anything. US Weekly has a headline today that says:
Brad Pitt & Jen Aniston To Have Run-In At Toronto Film Festival
So, when you read that it looks to me like they will be hanging out and sharing a spliff behind the CN Tower and then walking across the glass floor to see who falls first. See? I love you Toronto. Oh, speaking of Toronto and failed relationships, apparently Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling were hanging out together in Toronto yesterday, so...
OK, I got distracted. Anyway, US Magazine knows the reader will see the headline and will assume that Jen and Brad are going to see each other. I mean it is what the headline says right? There are no qualifiers to the sentence. It says they will have a run-in. It is what every man, woman, and child who reads the English language would believe when reading the headline. In this case though, I think US is actually trying to say that each star is going to run into the film festival and then run right back out.
I have seen so many websites and blogs talking about how they are going to run into each other and plans to keep them separated. First of all who gives a f**k? What do you think would happen if they would? Do you think they are going to beat each other in front of the media, or go get a room and bang one out for old times. No, they would probably smile and hug and move on. Then of course there would be months of analysis about the body language in the hugs, not taking into account the fact that Brad was probably holding his nose because Jen smells like a dirty wet ashtray.
Yes, they are both going to be at the festival, but their films are premiering two days apart. Do you think they are going to hang out at Starbucks for two days hoping to get a glimpse of each other? Please. And for magazines to say they are going to is a bunch of crap and an attempt to fool every person who reads them. US is lying here and they don't even care. They know how 99% of the world interprets the word run-in, and so they feed on that, and don't care if the other 1% pick up on it because they are probably reading The Economist anyway.