Thomas Kinkade's autopsy results have been released and it turns out the popular painter died of an accidental overdose. How can they tell the difference between an accidental overdose and one done on purpose? Do they ever say one was on purpose? Does it really matter? To the family, I'm sure they prefer accidental. Is it the quantity that determines it? Kinkade died due to a high concentration of ethanol combined with benzodiazepine which is booze and tranquilizers. Why do you need that many depressants? Never mix drugs with booze. His family had told the press he had died of natural causes. Well, they probably threw it out there hoping for the best. They must have known, but thought people would forget about it by now and they are probably correct.